History of the EANN conference
(Engineering Applications of Neural Networks)
The first historical EANN event was held in Otaniemi Finland, in August 1995. Since then, it has been continuously held with great success, as an annual event from 1995-2001, as a biannual event from 2001-2012 and finally as an annual, from 2013 till today. So far, the ΕΑΝΝ has been organized is 5 different countries of Europe namely: Finland, United Kingdom, (twice in London, once in Kingston up on Thames, in Aberdeen and Bristol) Greece (Thessaloniki, Corfu, Halkidiki, Rhodes, Athens, Crete) Bulgaria, Sweden, Gibraltar, Italy ,France, Poland and Spain. Recently, due to COVID pandemic it has been organized twice (2020 and 2021) virtually online.
Who we are
The EANN conference is technically supported by the INNS (International Neural Networks Society https:inns.org. More specifically, it is run under the auspices of the INNS Engineering Applications of Neural Networks Special Interest Group (SIG) https://www.inns.org/eann. The EANN SIG has been created to focus on innovative applications of Neural Networks and associated techniques for solving practical problems, especially where an engineering approach is adopted. The formation of EANN SIG recognizes and gives a home to the research community involved in the longstanding and successful series of conferences on Engineering Applications of Neural Networks (EANN).
Till 2021, 22 EANNI conferences have been organized under the strong contribution and support of the EANN Steering Committee, which comprises of:
Prof. Chrisina Jayne
Dean of the School of Computing and Digital Technologies Teesside University, UK.
Prof. Lazaros Iliadis
School of Engineering, Head of the Department of Civil Engineering, Sector of Mathematics, Programming and GC, Lab of Mathematics and Informatics (ISCE) Democritus University of Thrace, Greece.
Prof. Elias Pimenidis
Program Leader Computer Science, Department FET-Computer Science and Creative Technologies, University of the West of England, Bristol, UK.
EANN is a well-established event, with widely Cited Proceedings, published either in the Springer INNS Series https://www.springer.com/series/16268 or in the Communications in Computer and Information Sciences Springer ICCCI series https://www.springer.com/series/7899. Till 2021 the EANN Proceedings have been downloaded more than 600,000 times with more than 1,000 citations.
Cooperation with major research organizations
Important Workshops have been organized under the framework of the EANN conference in cooperation with major research institutions (e.g. the Hellenic Information Technology Institute (ITI) member of CERTH (Center for Research and Technology).
Special issues in highly cited high impact factor journals
The steering Committee is very proud for the Editorial work that has been conducted so far. The Program Chairs of the conference have edited Special Issues with selected papers of the AIAI, in the following well established and respected Scientific Journals with High Impact factor namely:
- Journal Information Sciences Informatics and Computer Science Intelligent Systems Applications University of Alberta Canada, Volume 178, Issue 20, pp 3799–3801 15 October 2008 Elsevier Science Science Impact Factor 3.095 http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1401540
- Journal Neurocomputing “Special Issue Timely Developments in Applied Neural Computing” vol. 73, Issue 1-3 ISSN: 0925-2312 Elsevier ScienceImpact Factor 1.4
- Journal Neural Networks Elsevier Science, Boston University, USA, Volume 24 issue 8, pp. 789-790 2011 Impact Factor 2.652 http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/08936080/24/8
- IJAIT International Journal of Artificial Intelligence Tools Vol. 21, No. 4 (August 2012) Wright State University USA World Scientific Publishing Co Impact Factor 0.25 http://www.worldscientific.com/toc/ijait/21/04
- Journal Artificial Intelligence Review, Springer, University of Edinburgh, UK, October 2014, Volume 42, Issue 3, pp 309-311 Impact Factor 0.429 http://link.springer.com/journal/10462/42/3/page/1
- Journal Neurocomputing “Special Issue “Timely Neural Networks Applications in Engineering” 2011 Volume 107, Pages 1-108 (1 May 2013) Impact Factor 1.431
- Journal Information Sciences Informatics and Computer Science Intelligent Systems Applications University of Alberta Canada, Special Issue on Advanced paradigms of Neural Networks’ learning algorithms and Architectures in Engineering, (APNNAAE) Special Issue (2015) Vol. 294 Elsevier Impact Factor 3.893
- Journal Neural computing and Applications Springer July 2016, Impact Factor 4.774 Volume 27, Issue 5, DOI: 10.1007/s00521-016-2318-4. Pages 1075-1076
- Journal Neural computing and Applications Springer Impact Factor 4.774 DOI: 10.1007/s00521-016-2637-5 https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00521-016-2318-4
- Journal Evolving Systems Springer DOI 10.1007/s12530-016-9164-6 March 2017, Volume 8, Issue 1, pp 1–2 “Timely advances in evolving neural-based systems” IF 2.447
- Journal Evolving Systems Springer Volume 9, Number 4 December 2018. “Foundations and Applications of Evolving Intelligence at the 21st Century” IF 2.447 December 2018, Volume 9, Issue 4, pp 265–266
- Journal Evolving Systems Springer “Foundations and Applications of Evolving Intelligence at the 21st century” IF 2.447 DOI: 10.1007/s12530-019-09282-9
- Journal Neural Computing and Applications Volume 32, Issue 9, May 2020 Emerging trends of Applied Neural Computation (pp. 4135-4314)/Cognitive Computing for Intelligent Application and Service Impact Factor 4,774 (pp. 4315-4480)
- Neural Computing and Applications Issue 7, May 2018 Special Issue on Engineering applications of neural networks Impact Factor 4,774 (pp. 303-404) https://www.springerprofessional.de/en/neural-computing-and-applications-7-2018/15544186
- Journal Evolving Systems 12(1): 1-2 (March 2021) pp. 191-216 Springer Evolving and hybrid systems’ modelling special issue. https://link.springer.com/journal/12530/volumes-and-issues/12-1